6/9/10

I RODE MY HORSE!

Goodness, yesterday turned out to be one of the best ever! I rode my horse...since I haven't posted in a while, I'll run through all the things we've been working on. Since we moved, I've been double-timing it on our training. Let's face it, Chester has enough saddle hours under his belt for me to get on and Rascal needs more saddle hours (not to mention she's pleasantly plump and needs to get into shape). For some reason though, they both have been terrified of my helmet. Your guess is as good as mine - maybe the glare? Anyway, to "help" them through the terrifying helmet ordeal I started with Chester and tied the helmet to the saddle a hundred different ways until he got used to it flopping all over the saddle, then I threw it all around the round pen until he quit jumping every time it landed. Chester took it all in stride, he only had one little moment when the helmet was floppin in the seat - but he got over it fairly quickly. Rascal, on the other hand, had a BIG moment when the helmet was floppin in the seat, she decided whatever was up there was going to EAT her in the next five seconds! One step forward and two steps back with her. It's hard to remember that they are two different horses sometimes, and to remember that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. At any rate, Rascal took a long time with the helmet and got really worked up - worked up enough that I worried about electrolytes and have made it a point to go get some. Back to the story: I've also worked very hard with the bridles and long - lines to at least get both of them plough reining and to get some of the basics out of the way on the ground. Last night, I got Chester saddled and bridled and lunged him a bit. He was acting like such a gentleman (and there were people around - hubby, friend, and Bob working on fence) that I decided to grow some and hop on. I gave Patience my phone and told her if anything happened to start yelling for help and call 911 (okay, maybe a little dramatic but it never hurts to have a plan). So, I got on. Chester froze. He has a bad habit of freezing when he is scared so it took a few minutes to get him used to the idea of moving forward but he did it! He did it and I did it! All we did was walk in circles both ways for about ten minutes but he kept his head down, didn't freak, and I got a total rush! I am so proud of Chester and can not wait to get back on! He knew he did something amazing, because he got petted and kissed and then I let him out in the "open" area to graze! After that, Rascal got lunged under saddle and she did perfect (after the helmet monster I had no idea what to expect). So, after Chester did perfect and Rascal did perfect and everyone swallowed their fear - both horses got to graze in the open and got lots of pets and praise! I will try to update more often and with pics.

2 comments:

D said...

Yeeaaaaaa!!!! Can't wait for pics!!!! AWSUME!!!!! Can't say enough! :Dian

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay for Chester!!! Yay for you!!!!

How exciting!


~Lisa