3/3/10

Chester cops an attitude-

Poor, poor Chester.







Spring has sprung, and with the nice dry roundpen, warm sunny days, and a show in two months he is being "forced" to work. I am fairly lenient when it comes to the first few minutes in the round pen. A little freshness is a sign of feeling good to me, but we seem to have reverted back to six months ago when he started to turn butt in and kick at me. Two steps forward and a zillion steps back is what seems to have happened. Sigh, it may be the weather, less handling last month, etc etc. The fact is, kicking at me and acting like an ass in the roundpen makes me just not care what his reason may be - it's unacceptable. So as a consequence Chester has to work harder. I don't mean running around in a damn circle untill he's too tired to stand, I mean more transitions, reversals and new stuff. Trying to wear out an Arabian is just pointless. Yesterday he calmed down, then wired back up so I put the landscaping timbers back in the pen in strategic places - he went to bucking and nonsense and promptly tripped over one and planted his face in the dirt...that was the end of the attitude for the day. Not exactly what I had in mind. My idea, is to distract him each day with something new untill we've worked through the nonsense. I'll keep posting and let you know how that's working out. :)

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a character! lol!

Good luck with him :)


~Lisa