10/10/10

Yak Yak

The farrier came out this week-yes, I decided that my back is not cut out for that. I did file both horses a couple of times to extend the length of time between trims and the farrier was supportive. I also did something interesting over the summer into September-the horses are now on a roughage diet only. I gradually cut their grain ration down to nothing, unless they give me a good hard workout and then it's served as more of a treat. It's definitely made both Chester and Rascal more manageable and they look better than ever. Chester is not even requiring weight builder!
I rode Chester some this week and we worked on frustration. Chester is easily frustrated when learning something new, and this is no different. I guess keeping his "lessons" short and to the point are just what he needs right now-I hope to goodness all this pays off because I'd really like to do some trail rides next summer!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Isn't it amazing how sore and tired trimming feet makes you? I, too, love a grain free diet! Boomer only gets a half pound of grain mixed with his hoof and calming supplements on days he is worked. I recently started getting his calming supplement in pellets so I am hoping to be able to do supplements only with no grain mixer in the near future!

Sally said...

I don't think I'll be trimming feet on a regular basis LOL! What supplement do you use? I use the Smart Calm Ultra, but only twice a week.

Heather said...

I use smart B1, but have considered trying the smart calm ultra to see if it is any different. I give it about every other day, sometimes more- sometimes less often.