12/2/10

After some thought, I disagree...

About a month and a half ago the farrier was out to do the horses. Since he's really about the only other horsey person I see we usually talk horse. The conversation got going really well while he was doing Rascal's feet and he voiced some opinions that I've been mulling over. We were discussing getting horses under saddle. His opinion is that training a horse to carry a rider is the "hard" part and all the ground work is the "easy" part and that bascially anyone can teach a horse ground work. After some careful thought I have to say that I disagree. Obviously not anyone can teach a horse how to move on the ground, how to respect your space, and how to exhibit proper manners. Maybe it is easy, and maybe my opinion is based on the fact that so many people just do not teach/make their horses behave properly on the ground. I think the riding foundation is built off the ground foundation and if there's a crack anywhere you have to go right back to square one-which is on the ground.
LOL! Now onto more important things. The horses are doing very well, it's getting cold, the days are shorter and Christmas is right around the corner!

3 comments:

D said...

Everything you teach them, they learn on the ground first. Respect, manners, accepting pressure, moving off pressure, etc. When you get into the saddle, it's already there. You do it right on the ground and getting in the saddle is the easy part. What I believe anyway.

Chris said...

I definitely think the ground work is harder - and very important! If they're not standing still for you to mount or walking out safely while you lead them to an area to ride... good luck!

...perhaps because more people work with horses and may do ground work without riding, he felt it was easier (more common)? :)

Sally said...

Chris, I don't exactly know what his thought process was. Sometimes I just listen to opinions and gather information...next time he comes, I'll try and pick his brain!