11/5/09

The Farrier

What a ham! Soli got her pretty face in there too.


Steve the farrier stopped by and did some shoes and trims for Dian and trimmed Chester for me. Steve is a very interesting character. He loathes the fact that he is an "okie" now (he's a former Texan-thank goodness we got him) he's extremely knowledgeable about horses and he's nice. Being nice is a requirement...anyway, D and Steve were talking about putting front shoes on her two year olds and I inquired as to why. Apparently to get them used to it and they have to wear shoes when D takes them to the shows next year. I don't think I'll put any on Chester for now, it's not a requirement for Sport Horse (in hand). I'm leaning towards boots if they'll work-just have to wait and see. Also chatted about the "riders rasp" and he says to go for it. Use it about every two weeks in between trims and it will eliminate chips, cracks, etc. Thanks Steve! Thanks D for waking me up-I hate missing out on the farrier!

5 comments:

D said...

Hey, you said you were awake already. Anyway was a good day. And I cant use boots at the shoes. The front shoes is an old timers thing. Been at this a long time I guess.

Sally said...

Well, I was awake...getting ready to turn back over and forget all about life :)

Anonymous said...

it looks like you have done a marvelous job with training your horse. congratulation on your accomplishments. mom

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Let me know how the Rider's Rasp works for ya. I've read ads about it and have been on the fence about buying one, though.


~Lisa

Sally said...

I ordered the rider's rasp and it's in! So far, it's been too muddy to use it, but hopefully by this weekend I'll be able to blog a "rider's rasp critique!"