6/18/10

Go and Whoa...






Chester's specific goal for today was letting me mount from the off side and moving off my legs. He had no issues with the off side mount and after about twenty minutes of moving off my leg and getting rewarded each time he was just done. Chester has always been that way when learning something new. His mind works really hard to figure out what it is I want. I have learned that once he "gets it" and does it right two or three times his mind is usually blown and nothing will come of me pushing harder that day. So, after I got what I wanted, he got some love and some grazing time.


Rascal is learning the fine art of whoa. She has the interesting habit of when I lunge her and ask for "whoa" she automatically turns and reverses the other way - taking off in a trot. No thanks. So today, my goal was when I say whoa, she stops. It was cute to watch her mind take in this "new" concept. She caught on quickly though, and we moved on to saddling from the off side, which we'll do again tomorrow.


Another interesting note is the weight tape. It's time to worm so I got out the tape. Chester is about the same weighing in around 740lbs. Rascal's weight is not on the map :) The tape goes to 1250lbs and she measures over that, around 1300lbs - she's also a little under 14 hands. Chester is a little over 15 hands. I think Chester is looking very well, and I think Rascal is a short round horse (translation - fatty). So, how accurate do you think weight tapes are? Do you use one, or rely on your eye?


1 comment:

D said...

Interesting with the weight tape. I don't think they are that accurate. Same type of measurements came up with Solitair and Trucker. Trucker is 930lbs, Soli is 1115lbs. He is 15 2+ and she is 14 2. Go fiqure! Anyway, sounds like everyone is making great progress!! Way to go, proud of all!!!!!
:D