6/25/10

Hunter-Jumper?

Wednesday night into Thursday morning the weather decided to get crazy and dump 3 inches of rain. As if that wasn't enough the winds gusted well over 60mph and the lightening was crazy (I hear, I was about 60 miles away - working). Anyway, right after I got off work and hopped in the car I got a call from Sallie, one of the owners where we board..um, Chester was out this morning. CRAP! Well, he had gotten out where the round pen is which is another fenced-in area and was grazing to his little hearts content. She called to let me know that they had put him back in he and Rascal's paddock and he looked okay and was walking okay, but that I might want to come check him over and make sure. I stepped on the gas and made record time. Once there, I discovered that I had unloaded my mud boots from the car (more on that trip later) so I ended up getting my work shoes soaked checking Chester over. He is fine, not a mark anywhere except the top of the gate - which has two scratch marks. I think the scratch marks are from his hooves clipping the gate (which is over four and a half feet) as he sailed over like a champion. I really would've liked to have been there so I could see it! Anyway, the two hams got a little extra feed for dealing with what was obviously a very harrowing night and I went home relieved. But maybe, just maybe, we'll try that together someday :)

4 comments:

Misfit in Paradise said...

I once tried a 3' jump (I ride western). Holy. On a horse that 3' suddenly looked like 10'!

Heather said...

Holy cow! Thats impressive!

Sally said...

Misfit: I haven't ever jumped over anything on a horse, but if Chester is capable....
Heather: And then again, horses can do very interesting things when they're terrified - he could've just been spooked enough for that to happen!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

well.... maybe you should take up jumping...
- The Equestrian Vagabond