6/23/09

Can you afford a horse?

I like to discuss financials with my grandma before I make big decisions. Since grandpa died in the mid eighties, she has run the entire farm/ranch operation. Plus, she lived through the great depression. I'd say she's got a handle on budgets. The last one was about Chester. I told her what I was thinking and after we talked over some details she said "well, can you afford a horse?" Hmmmm, with a little overtime-sure (I think). That's when she exploded with her infinite wisdom I love so much. Well Sally, you're not going to live forever. If it'll make you happy, I say go for it. So, here we are. Well uh-oh. Where was a trailer in my budget? Where oh where indeed! I thought about buying a fixer-upper untill I read an article last night about Blazes equine rescue. Seems they loaded up Blaze and the bottom came out of the trailer-they had pics of his legs. Hell no, not gonna happen to my Chester. I guess the trailer will have to wait probably till next April. A much newer truck is on the order as well. I need a saddle that will fit Chester, I'd like a fly sheet, a winter blanket, don't forget the vet in July for the dogs and horse, school clothes, a leather halter and lead, shipping boots, some SMB elites, the show in October.....Shit, I hate overtime.
Dad, I'm gonna need to borrow your trailer after all.....

No comments: