10/20/09

Acute Observation

So, Dian and I were talking horse last night at work. We were talking about getting the rest of her two year olds under saddle this winter and I remarked how interesting it would be when we got to Soli. D agreed and said without judgement "but I do push my horse more than you do." Agreed. It was nice that she said it without saying it was wrong...does that make sense? I've always gotten made fun of by how SLOW I go with my horses and I'm the first to admit it takes me forever! But I have a reason, I swear it! I look at my Chester right now and I see a child. I can relate to his mentality and short attention span in the way I can relate to my kids. You can't push to much on them at once or they get flustered and mad and then don't learn anything. So, I like to do everything at hum drum speed and make sure every single time I'm with him it's a positive learning experience. I want him to want to learn and look forward to me :) I think so far he's doing okay. The last time he got upset with me was about reverse. I backed way off and did short five minute lessons for about two weeks and we've got it down pat. This weekend when we were in the pasture and I tried to lunge he just couldn't concentrate on it, so I dropped it for the day...today we tried again and it went beautifully! The slower I go, the faster Chester seems to catch on.


Horses and Children, I often think, have a lot of the good sense there is in the world.
-Josephine Demott Robinson
-On another pasture note, I have been scared to go back down that wash where I fell. So, we went back to the same place today and did just fine. I squished fear and it felt good!

2 comments:

D said...

It was not judgemental because you are doing it the right way! Baby steps, Baby steps! It is much faster to go slow. You have done an awesome job with Chester!!! I am very proud of you both. I see you both growing and fears washing away with each day. And you haven't complained of a stomach ache for quite some time.

Heather said...

Taking it slowly is the hard, but right way. I think you are doing a great job! One thing you have done that I can't seem to do is know when to quit pushing. Like with the lunging in the pasture thing. You knew when to quit, and tried again another day. My problem is that I get stubborn and take everything as a challenge that must be completed. I have this fear that if something like that happens, and I drop it, he will learn that he can throw a fit and get his way. I commend you for knowing when to back off.