10/12/09

A New Level of Understanding.

Since the fair I've gone back to life and resumed regular Wynchester time. I've noticed the stark changes. For instance, D sent home a synthetic saddle for us to power wash off and she's hinted a few times it would be useful to break a horse. On Friday, we brought it back and hubby was pestering me again "are you ever gonna ride that horse?" he'll say from time to time, and frankly he's not the only one. So, being the smartass I am I toted the little saddle out to the roundpen. Chester sniffed, snorted, and finally ate at the saddle and then I calmly walked to his side and put it on him. No reaction. I pulled on it and let it fall to the ground - he stared at me like I was a lunatic but didn't move. Then I hoisted it back on and walked him around. Okay, it's done-he wears a saddle. He's not ready to ride, but he'll wear it.
I noticed the differences in our trust again today. The roundpen was way to muddy so I got him out and we went walking. We walked farther than we ever have before down the road and Chester was perfectly okay with just going with me. We came back and went down the driveway, around the trailer, over some wood, stomped on some tin. Chester was content to just be and follow me wherever I took him. It's almost as if we're much more "in tune" with each other and I have to admit it's exhilarating. The fair was much more than fun time and I'm just beginning to understand the deep meaning of all this....

1 comment:

D said...

Yea, and yes! The Fair and all horse shows are a continuous learning experience. He'll just keep getting better and so will you. You two are a great team!!!!!!