7/16/09

Vacation Starts

Tomorrow is Chesters first trip in a trailer. We are planning to take D's trailer because hers can be open like a big stall. My mom is coming to drop off her dog and is staying a few extra hours so the kids don't have to go. I mean it Chester, no nonsense and no hurting yourself. I actually think he's going to love riding once he gets used to it. I also don't have any mats for my trailer or shavings? if that's a good idea. I did get to thinking today that I haven't gotten out a big ball or a tarp yet and those are both good to get out of the way before going to the show. It looks like my entire staycation will be lovely weather. I ordered Harry Potter tickets for us all for Sat night (because I promised). Besides that, hiking, horsey time, swimming, and grocery shopping is all I've got planned. Plus, I need to find a new dentist-just kicked ours to the curb today, I've seriously had enough bs.
I did read an interesting article about NOT having super high goals and how it makes you a better rider to not put a schedule on training (I know, I said no more reading). It makes perfect sense to me. I would like to eventually ride my horse enjoyably. I would like for him to enjoy being ridden. I would like for him to enjoy trailer rides. I would like him to be safe around all my kids.
When I first got Chester, my goals were a little less lofty. Halter. Leading well. Stand for grooming. Then we progressed to feet, fly spray, bath. Then lunging, standing tied, trailer loading, responding to pressure, learning to travel in-hand, clipping, etc....
"Horse training should be about as boring as watching paint dry" -read it somewhere. It applies to me...let's see, about 140 or so days ground training, it's starting to pay off!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey, I took things really slowly with Boomer too. Though, once we started riding and he knew the basics, I really started expecting more of him and putting him up to the challenge.
I suggest making a list of your goals now and looking back at them in a few months. It still amazes me to look back and see that one year ago I was working on picking up his back feet, fly spray, and standing tied. Then a few months later, we were working on bridling easily, turning while riding. A few months later, I was working on leg yields, and leads. Now, We are working on rating speed, collecting, opening gates, and not being barn sour on trail rides! Making lists of my goals has helped me keep perspective when I have an off day training him.

Good luck!