9/14/09

Endless Entertainment

Okay, so we went to the Green Country AHA Stallion Auction. Endless entertainment does not even begin to describe that experience. The auction was held at the Eddie Ralston stables (www.ralstontrainingcenter.com) and I have to admit, I liked looking at the stables and visiting the horses more than meeting new people - nothing new, that's just me. I did get some devilish entertainment by introducing myself as Dian's groom, evil laugh. But all in all, everyone seemed genuinely nice and they all (myself included) appeared quite entertained!



This is the pasture board view on the way down the drive.

Here is the outdoor roundpen view with a barn/stables in the background.



This is the horsey list/organizational chart which I absolutely loved! Mr Ralston caught me taking this pic and he appeared a little taken aback, but I took it in good will. I was impressed with the cleanliness and massive amount of organization to run such a place.

I was immediately drawn to this horse, Khappy. Does he look familiar? Chester was jealous and he wasn't even there!




Happy horses all around the stables.




I couldn't resist a pretty picture.




This was Hans from www.fredericksborgusa.com the horse farm reproduction jaz. He gave a presentation on "collection" and AI. I'll admit, Dian was far more interested than I was although he was very informative.





This here is Stan Morey. An AHA judge and professional trainer who gave a halter clinic. Fascinating. The entire crowd was enamored and he broke everything down in a professional yet amateur friendly language. He stopped periodically to answer questions and even brought in a horse for a full demonstration.





Here is the crowd, just enamored and frankly baffled by who is that taking pics and why.




Here's Mr Morey with the mare. It's his mare, but he discussed her strengths and weaknesses very well.





He also pointed out that if the animal was properly trained anyone could set it up. Example: This little girl. He gave her some directions from afar and darned if she didn't get that horse to set up!



Somebody brought a big damn dog. They even purchased it a stuffed toy during the "items" part of the stallion auction.







The actual auction was entertainment in itself. Each stallion was brought up on the television as their seed was sold. Periodically, there were breaks where they sold donated items. I'll admit, I got caught up as well and bought a bright red cooler for Chester. (I was forbidden by my husband before the auction to buy anything, but it was a total bargain at under twenty bucks. He agreed and didn't get in a wad about it.)








Frankly, this cake was one of the highlights. I didn't want them to cut it because it was sooo pretty! It got cut anyway, and it tasted delicious. There was also a luncheon before the auction.







So, that was my Saturday. It took just about all day and when I got home I cleaned house and watched movies with my Ms Sami. Hubby had went on an overnight fishing trip, of which he came home early because of the rain and lack of fish catching. We had previously tried out a new restaurant Friday night, but it wasn't enough to blog about - so I won't. My parents brought the kids home Sunday afternoon, so I got to visit with them. I managed a little Chester time Sunday evening. I took Tristan over with me and just couldn't resist taking him into the round pen to visit Chester. I NEVER have a damn camera during the cutest of cute moments! Chester dropped his massive head almost to the ground so Tristan could touch him. Tristan was so enamored with him that he petted, rubbed, and then hugged Chester's nosey nose post kissies. Chester's eyes held a gentle far away look that's hard to describe and the moment was just priceless. Where is the friggin camera I thought to myself. Here's my "crazy" Arabian two year old practically babysitting my son and I have only the memory in my head. I will cherish it forever.



"To learn all that a horse could teach, was a world of knowledge but only a beginning...Look into a horses eye and you instantly know if you can trust him."
- Mary O'Hara







1 comment:

Heather said...

Stan is a great trainer. Since the AHA has changed the judging standards for halter classes he has been giving clinics at shows and elsewhere. It is great to see a trainer like that fully supporting the AHA decision. I rode with him as a youth when I was showing saddle seat. He is a very talented man and he really does have a way with words for describing how to get a horse to do something.
The Ralston place is very nice too. I used to really want to go there for reining training and lessons to teach Boomer and myself something new.
I'm glad you had fun!