9/28/09

Most horse problems are caused by people.

Wherever you go, there are horses for sale for multiple reasons. Be it a breeder selling the fine (or less than fine) horseflesh they've carefully bred, a trainer selling the newly ridden, or those who've lost jobs. But it irritates me when people claim their horses have a "problem." My horse does this or that and I don't know how to fix/correct it. No kiddin? Take a step back and look at where the "problem" or "problems" originated and if you're truly honest with yourself the issue lies with you. If for some reason, Chester refused to load in the trailer, I would know that's MY problem because I am afraid. If he freaks out at the show, it's my fault for not desensitizing him properly, not enough, or not staying calm myself. It sounds harsh, but the truth about your horse lies with YOU - you are the human and supposedly the superior species. If you feel like your horse has a past issue, work on it! If your horse flips over, try a portable corral. Refuses to load, do some research and try something different. Spooks on the trail, ride every day until its fixed. Refuses to let feet to be handled, work on it everyday. I guess the message, is not to take this post the wrong way. Just take a step back, don't give up on your horses, and take the extra TIME to figure out your issues. It will pay off in the end I promise.

No comments: